What should happen if my child is suspected of having SENDs?


Wave 1 – Quality First Classroom teaching

If you feel that your child may have SENDs or have been informed by school that they have been identified as falling behind the majority of the other children in the class, then you should speak to their class teacher (primary) or SENCO (secondary).

The school closely monitors all students with SENDs and would be happy to discuss with you about what strategies are in place already, what impact they are having and what other strategies could be employed to remove any barriers to learning.

For many children, simple changes to the way that the curriculum is delivered by the teacher(such as multisensory or active learning approaches , larger font size, preferred paper colour) can make a significant impact on removing the barriers to their learning and with these changes in place they are soon able to catch up with their peers and make expected levels of progress.  In School we call this ‘differentiating the curriculum’.  Your child’s class or subject teachers will be doing this on a daily basis in order to ensure that all the students in the class can make the most of the learning experiences presented. This is known as QUALITY FIRST teaching.

If  they do not progress and show improvement  over a period of time,a meeting should be arranged with the Class Teacher (Primary) or Head of Year (Secondary) who will investigate any other  possible factors which may affect your child’s ability to work successfully in the classroom alongside the other children. These factors could include wider family problems, poor attendance and engagement, bereavement or disputes between pupils which may result in persistent behaviour problems rather than a special educational need. In these cases the class teacher (Primary) or Head of Year (Secondary) would arrange a special meeting known as a CAF to help support the child.

Wave 2 – What are the next steps?

If it is determined that  no other factors  are affecting your child’ progress in lessons, you will be invited to a meeting to complete an Initial Cause for Concern document and to discuss some actions the school can take to assist you child in developing areas of weakness such as reading, writing or numeracy. This was formerly known as School Action and your child is placed on the SEND register and the local authority is informed.

We ascertain the views of the child and its parents and the current and target levels of attainment.

The school may offer additional interventions such as individual or small group reading, phonics, catchup, toe-by-toe, lifeboat spelling or extra social skills or maths support.

Your child’s progress will then be checked/monitored at regular intervals and you will be kept informed by a school report.

Your child may begin to make improvements as a result of this additional tuition and no longer need be on the register after review.

What will happen if my child does not respond to Wave 2 support?

If after additional interventions such as small group reading or numeracy, your child does not respond and make progress, then he/she  may need more personalised extra support and you will be invited to sign a referral to professionals outside the school setting.

A special meeting known as a Single Conversation between the SENCO, the educational psychologist and other local authority representatives or outside agencies takes place each term and your child will be referred for further assessments of need.

After this the school will be given more specific advice to help your child make progress. This will be called an IEP (Individual Education Plan) and shared with all your child’s teachers by the SENCO in consultation.

The School will monitor your child’s progress at this stage for a period of time.  You will be kept informed of their progress through regular meetings and will receive a copy of their IEP.  At the meeting the School will share with you how they plan to personalise learning for your child.

Wave 3 –  Which other professionals work with the SENCO to support my child’s SEND?

If the school has to ask outside agencies for further support this is known as Wave 3. Holy Trinity works in a collaborative partnership with many different agencies. This means that a supportive plan for the family can be developed to meet your child’s needs both in and out of school. We will also use the Common Assessment Form (CAF) to record information you provide about your child, this will provide a baseline to develop a multi-agency planned approach to addressing the SEND of your child.

If you are experiencing family difficulties that need us to link with outside professionals from other agencies, we will invite you to complete a Common Assessment Form (CAF) which is shared with Social care and  hold regular meetings in school  to monitor the support plan. We call these meetings Team Around the Child (TAC) .

Listed below are some of the outside agencies with whom we regularly work collaboratively:

Barnsley Local Authority Inclusion Services

Disabled Children’s Team

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS)

Visual Impairment Service

Hearing Impairment Service

Educational Psychologists (EPs)

School Nurses

Education Welfare Officers (EWO)

What if the IEP does not help my child make progress?

Only a very small percentage of children require support of an additional nature beyond this. If this is the case, then the SENCO may discuss with you the possibility of asking the Local Authority to undertake a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. If this is considered appropriate, then the School will collect together all your child’s information and evidence of all the carefully evaluated additional strategies and interventions that have been put place and with your permission send it off to the Local Authority for them to consider the information at a panel meeting and make a decision whether or not to carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs.  Whilst this is taking place the School will continue to meet your child’s needs with the support that is already in place.

Once the Local Authority receives a request to consider whether to make a statutory assessment or not, a legal timescale begins.  The process of statutory assessment is carefully bound by the legislation and guidance within the SEN Code of Practice.  The SENCO will be able to explain the process and timescales to you or alternatively you would find this in the SEN Code of Practice. If the decision is made to go ahead with a statutory assessment then the Local Authority will signpost you to guidance and support that will assist you through the process for example from the Parent Partnership Service.

What if the local authority decide to award a statement of SEND?

You will  be sent a proposed statement which explains your child’s primary need and details of what provision has been made available to the school in the form of additional funding. You should arrange to meet with the SENCO within 6 weeks to set targets and agree the  additional educational provision that your child will receive at Holy Trinity.

The school sets aspirational targets for all its students including those with special educational needs.  Individual targets are shared with students so that they are aware of what they need to learn to learn next.  Students with SEN who have a personalised  IEP are made aware of their learning targets and are engaged in discussions relating to how much progress they feel they have made.  Parents are aware of targets on personalised learning plans and receive regular communications about progress.  If you wish to discuss targets and progress towards them, the SENCO and or Head of Year will be happy to meet with you.